Current:Home > NewsRekubit Exchange:Prosecutors seek to recharge Alec Baldwin in the "Rust" movie shooting -Capitatum
Rekubit Exchange:Prosecutors seek to recharge Alec Baldwin in the "Rust" movie shooting
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-05 19:23:36
Special prosecutors say they plan to present the New Mexico Grand Jury with a criminal case against Alec Baldwin in the fatal shooting of the cinematographer on Rekubit Exchangethe movie set of Rust.
Baldwin was one of the producers of the Western movie, which was being filmed on a ranch outside Santa Fe in October of 2021. As an actor, he was holding the gun that went off during a rehearsal. Baldwin pointed the Colt .45, which was not supposed to have been loaded, directly at the camera, and the bullet that went off killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins and wounded director Joel Souza.
Baldwin has long maintained he should not be held responsible for the shooting. He told authorities and reporters that he remembers pulling back the hammer of the gun, but not the trigger.
Five months ago, the special prosecutors dropped involuntary manslaughter charges against him, saying they were informed the gun might have been modified before the shooting and malfunctioned. But they left open the possibility of refiling the case against Baldwin.
Since then, the prosecutors reportedly received a new analysis of the gun that was used.
"After [an] extensive investigation over the past several months, additional facts have come to light that we believe show Mr. Baldwin has criminal culpability in the death of Halyna Hutchins and the shooting of Joel Souza," read a statement by attorneys Kari T. Morrissey and Jason J. Lewis. "We believe the appropriate course of action is to permit a panel of New Mexico citizens to determine from here whether Mr. Baldwin should be held over for criminal trial."
Baldwin's attorneys, Luke Nikas and Alex Spiro responded to the news in their own statement. "It is unfortunate that a terrible tragedy has been turned into this misguided prosecution," they wrote. "We will answer any charges in court."
Meanwhile, the film's armorer, Hannah Gutierrez Reed, is set to go on trial in February. She has pleaded not guilty to involuntary manslaughter and evidence tampering in the case.
Last Spring, the film's assistant director and safety coordinator David Halls pleaded no contest to unsafe handling of a firearm and received a suspended sentence of six months of probation.
The legal saga has continued for years; Among other twists and turns, the initial special prosecutor and district attorney both resigned. The cinematographer's widower, Matthew Hutchins dropped a wrongful death lawsuit against Baldwin. As part of the agreement, he was made an executive producer of Rust. The film's remaining scenes wrapped in Montana in May.
veryGood! (9936)
Related
- Tropical rains flood homes in an inland Georgia neighborhood for the second time since 2016
- The Turkish president is to meet Putin with the aim of reviving the Ukraine grain export deal
- Lobstermen Face Hypoxia in Outer Cape Waters
- Alka-Seltzer is the most commonly recommended medication for heartburn. Here's why.
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- Max Verstappen breaks Formula 1 consecutive wins record with Italian Grand Prix victory
- Injured California motorist trapped at bottom of 100-foot ravine is rescued after 5 days
- Every Time Nick Lachey and Vanessa Lachey Dropped a Candid Confession
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Smash Mouth Singer Steve Harwell Dead at 56
Ranking
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- Smash Mouth Singer Steve Harwell Dead at 56
- Nightengale's Notebook: 20 burning questions entering MLB's stretch run
- UN nuclear watchdog report seen by AP says Iran slows its enrichment of near-weapons-grade uranium
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- On the Road celebrates Labor Day with 85-year-old hospital cleaner working her dream job
- Southeast Asian leaders are besieged by thorny issues as they hold an ASEAN summit without Biden
- Injured California motorist trapped at bottom of 100-foot ravine is rescued after 5 days
Recommendation
Hidden Home Gems From Kohl's That Will Give Your Space a Stylish Refresh for Less
Lions, tigers, taxidermy, arsenic, political squabbling and the Endangered Species Act. Oh my.
Selena Gomez, Prince Harry part of star-studded crowd that sees Messi, Miami defeat LAFC
College football Week 1 grades: Deion Sanders gets A+ for making haters look silly
Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
How heat can take a deadly toll on humans
'The Equalizer 3' surprises with $34.5M and No. 1, while 'Barbie' clinches new record
Kyle Larson edges Tyler Reddick in Southern 500 at Darlington to open NASCAR playoffs